UPDATED: Misconceptions of Feminism - Why you mad mumma?



















UPDATED 9TH MARCH 2022:
It’s taken me a little while to gather my thoughts, in the lead up to International Women’s Day - which was yesterday - I still didn’t know what I wanted to say. Not really feeling like saying anything. 

In the past year so much has happened. Britney was freed from her conservatorship, Amanda Bynes has applied to be freed from hers as well, Kim “chose herself” and is proceeding to divorce Kanye, Grace Tame didn’t smile for a photo with ScoMo, important legislative changes have been made in Australia around Domestic Violence.

But it still feels like much of what is going on is performative. Women are now being asked to sit at the table but when we get there we are still being silenced and asked to sit there and just smile and when we don’t smile we’re told we’re impolite, and to ‘lighten up’, when all we want is to be taken seriously. It’s still the very few women who are put in positions where they have a voice.

To be honest I haven’t found mine. My role at the company I work for is mostly administrative and I don’t have any benefits like sick leave/annual leave. Still! After nearly 20 years in the workforce. 

All I’m doing at the moment is finding my peace within myself and the things that make me happy. I enjoy the stillness and quiet of my mind when I’m meditating. The giggle and playfulness of my two sons, may they grow up to be fierce champions of women. Dancing, something that we are sometimes told to be shameful of, I will continue to dance forever. Be like Luciano and still dancing in my 70s and hopefully 80s, 90s. 

If you’ve not heard from me in a while, I’m not on Facebook and Instagram at the moment. Except for the occasional post, I’ve just been stepping away from it. 

Take care, do what you love and most importantly build your own table. Make it solid and sturdy and something you can dance on!

———————————————————————


Since the up rise of the “Me Too” movement, and Brittany Higgins and other women coming forward about the alleged abuses they experienced in Parliament House, I’ve had a few people in my life who have only just started to clue onto the fact that I am a feminist.

Some of the other events in recent times include the women’s marches March 2021 in protest of treatment of women across the world, abuse and unnecessary deaths of Indigenous women in custody due to lack of provision of proper medical treatment, and the #freeBritney campaign to have Britney Spears freed from a 13 year long conservatorship in which she does not have control over her own reproductive


system. 

I’ve experienced the glass ceiling personally, many times in my life and I’m only 34, I’m white, and I’m not what people would consider disadvantaged in many ways. 


I also know plenty of women, stuck in seemingly hopeless situations. 


I also know men who actually are caring and loving and sympathetic. 


So why speak up at all about this? Why bother? Why can't I just be happy about the lottery ticket I've ended up with in life? 


Because there are still questions, because people are still choosing to ignore these systemic issues and Because there are many misconceptions about feminists that I believe need clearing up. 


And also because I want to contribute, to continue the work that so many women have carried on before me. 



My great aunt Barbara Holborow was a children’s court magistrate also known as 'the children's champion', a strong and caring woman who’s work helped many families in tough situations. But she was quoted saying this of her time working in the courts “they used to call us tea ladies” referring to the men who were back then still new to the idea that women could be anything more than a Secretary or “tea lady”.


So yes, I am a feminist, and if you want to clear up in your mind some of these misconceptions, please keep reading: 


NOTE: These are my own personal viewpoints and not a complete expression of the way every single woman or feminist feels. If you want to know how a specific woman feels about these things, all you have to do is ask, but also listen ๐Ÿ‘‚. Thank You ๐Ÿ™ 


MYTH  - Feminists hate all men


FALSE Feminists do not hate all men. 


They just have a problem with men who mistreat, harm, financially, sexually, verbally and physically abuse women/men/children etc. Does a feminist have a problem with you, and how you treat the people in your life? No? Then you must be doing the right thing, thank you ๐Ÿ™



MYTH
- Feminists just want all women to work and men to stay home and change poopy diapers


FALSE Many feminists are/ or know someone who is a stay at home mum trapped in abusive situations they can’t escape because they have no control over their finances because their partner wouldn’t allow them to earn an income of their own. This is why many more women do not have superannuation and die in poverty in comparison to men. 


All we ask for is equality and safety for women. And an equal share of poopy diaper changes as this task should not be viewed as a woman’s only job OR seen as a task beneath someone’s capabilities to do so. 


MYTH - Feminists want to cut off men’s dicks


FALSE Maybe there are some men who should not have become fathers, but feminists are just tired of being rehab for dysfunctional men and their problems. 


Often women do unpaid emotional labour and are left worse off because men who become dads do not think that the child that has been brought into this world is equally their responsibility. If you don’t want to become a father, don’t have sex. Because even if you’re having protected sex, protection is never 100% guaranteed to work. So even if there is an accident, it is still equally mans responsibility. 



MYTH
- Feminists are slutty 


FALSE Sexuality and sexual expression should not label a woman as slutty. A man sleeps around, is seen as having “sexual conquests”. Feminists can wear a hijab OR wear next to nothing (aka a bikini at a beach), but they still have the right to bodily autonomy. 


QUESTION What is Bodily autonomy? 


ANSWER It’s the right to decisions over ones own body without external influence or coercion. Many women, trans and non-binary are dictated what to wear, what’s appropriate for their gender, what’s appropriate for their age, race, religion. 


FACT: A woman is not “asking for it” no matter what she is wearing.


FACT: A woman is not “asking for it” if she is intoxicated. 


FACT: A woman is not “asking for it” if she is walking home alone 


FACT: A woman is not “asking for it”. Period.


MYTH - There are bad women out there too, why just hate on men? 


TRUTH Feminists don’t disagree with this. Both men and women can be oppressed and oppressors and this has been going on for generations of systematic oppression. 


In order to affect change, where change needs to be affected we are better off supporting one another than we are bickering. Part of the problem is that due to the patriarchal system that society has in place and continues to be governed by to this day (please read up on this, if you disagree that there is such a thing - there is so much information on this - some sources listed at the bottom of this post), women are often turned on one another. 


Instead of building each other up, we are conditioned to fear and condemn our sisters. 


This is changing though. There are finally more safe spaces to report abuse without threatening fear of safety or job loss, but there is still a long way to go. 


MYTH - Women are being paid better now



TRUTH In 2020/2021 women who work full-time (this is important to note) still only earn 82cents for every dollar a man earns and are more likely to be employed casually (without benefits) or part-time. 


In Australia in 2020 the full-time with benefits gap was 20.1% which is down from where it has been in the past. But most studies indicate that it would take another 25 years for this gap to reach 0% if that is at all attainable and not counting for set-backs in light of the pandemic which we still don’t have data on since October 2020. 


Women stuck in domestic abuse situations have been forced to stay put, with many shelters and safe havens closing or having limited capacity due to Covid. 


------------------------------------


So now you have some insight. Hope you found the read somewhat useful and if you have more questions seek out more information using something like “duck duck go”, or “Bing” or I don’t know, “Google”? 


In case you don’t know what to look for, here are several sources that I have visited to find information that I have used to compose this article:


https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/04/brittany-higgins-hospitalised-and-receiving-support-after-months-of-political-pressure


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-31/urgent-action-needed-over-indigenous-women-in-jails/12103372


Britney Spears asks for accountant to replace father as conservator | Britney Spears | The Guardian


https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/sep/10/indigenous-women-in-custody-more-likely-than-men-to-have-died-where-policy-not-followed


Timeline of dress codes: History of men telling women what to wear


https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/05/23/3509316.htm  


https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1266&context=uclf


Oppressed and Oppressors? The Systematic Mistreatment of Men on JSTOR


https://www.payscale.com/data/gender-pay-gap


Over a quarter of a century until gender pay gap likely to close | WGEA


Why Men are Fed Up with Feminism | The Women's Code

Comments

Popular Posts