Why did I write a book about autism?
Why did I do this? I just recently hit publish on a book I've been writing for about 3 years now. This project started as a bunch of diary entries, but I soon realised that it was almost like a roadmap of the boys' diagnosis of Autism and the challenges we've experienced in the years since. From navigating the NDIS system to fighting for inclusion in education and care settings, I've documented the good, the wonderful, the inadequate and the messy.
I've truly been nervous to share this with ANYONE. But, I think I'm finally ready to put it out into the world.
This may just be a first edition, with several revisions to come. But I am proud of it. I'm proud of our boys and our family and the story that I've told in the pages is an expression of that.
I've titled it "Understand Me: Autism in Early Childhood and the Fight for Inclusion" with a couple of purposes in mind.
Understand Me, is the overarching sentiment. My yearning to be able to understand our boys and give them what they want and need. A plee for people we meet and places we encounter to spare us understanding, patience and kindness, but understanding most of all.
Early childhood - because the boys are currently 6 and 8 years old. I feel like there's so much we still don't know about the road we have ahead, so I can really only speak to the experiences of their early childhood.
The fight for inclusion is an ongoing battle for us as we navigate systems and a world that wasn't designed for the needs of children with autism. Like most public buildings these days have to be made wheelchair accessible, I'm hoping that through advocacy and continued learning, that public spaces will become more autism accessible. This is the predominant reason I had for turning my diary pages into a book.
I feel vulnerable, nervous but also hopeful. I hope that people who are autistic and their families will be able to read and feel seen, heard and understood. I hope that people who are in positions to make a difference will read this and feel compelled to take more action to break down the barriers for people with autism. Anyone who is looking for more information about Autism and the autistic experience, I hope you feel guided and more informed via these pages.
I hope that my boys will continue to grow and thrive and find acceptance in this world no matter where they go or who they meet.



Comments
Post a Comment