Even Queen Bey has flaws. Exsqueeze me ? Beyoncéeeee-what?


I had counted myself out last week. I really thought, 'this is it. I've done as much as I can.' It was a tough week and I actually thought at one point 'will I ever get back to feeling okay again?'

But I do, feel okay. 

I feel like I survived a flood or a forest fire.

I can't tell whether I've been squelching through mud puddles, getting stuck every now and then to the point of drowning before something or someone pushes me back to the surface;

Or running through smokey bushland, firey waves swooshing a trail behind me, quickly gaining pace to come closer to me and surround me just as the fire rescue releases a ladder from their helicopter to pull me to safety.



Of course my life is not quite that dramatic. We just had a bug going around our house and our group of friends. But of course when I got it, it came with a vengeance including hourly trips to the bathroom with a bucket as well!  In between these mad dashes, I had a lot of time where all I could do was rest and try to suppress the bodily aches and pains until they dulled and then vanished completely. 

While aimlessly scrolling through my news feed, I read an article in on WHIMN (online magazine) about Beyoncé that totally tore me in pieces. It's literally something I've been struggling with and I finally figured out how to vocalise my feelings on the subject thanks to this article.

Kevin Winter/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images


The article compiles a handful of examples of times over the years when Beyoncé displayed unhealthy self-talk about dieting when she claims to represent a body positive message to women around the world.

The world says, 'live your truth', 'just be you', 'don't change a thing'.

but it also says.. 'get Instagram ready'💯, 'smile for the camera'😁, 'buy spanx'👗. So what's a girl to do?

I started a dance-fitness company in Perth this year, Love Your Fitness - LYF, along with my partner in crime Aleisha. We started this up to make a change in our lives, to talk positively about fitness and health and rather than shaming or guilting about weight-loss, we wanted to spread a different message in loving yourself and being kind to your body. 




We believe in challenging yourself, but also knowing your limits so that things like hyper-extension or over-exhaustion don't come between you and your goals.  

Aleisha and I love teaching Zumba® Fitness in Perth, and running our own company has been a personal dream of ours for a long time. At Love Your Fitness - LYF we are always playing around with NEW moves and coming up with fun new choreography that is easy to learn so you can get the most out of your workout. 

As mothers, we have both experienced changes to our bodies that we never imagined.



I disagreed with the article somewhat (although I love that they have commented on this, because I think it should be talked about more regardless of a particular point of view on the subject). 

Looking at someone, you can never know what they are going through, or what their daily struggle is. Unless you ask them.

Guys go through struggles with body image too by the way. They don't tend to vocalise/publicise it as much as we do. Well at least taking a look at myself, and family and friends as a sample. Most of the women I know wear their heart on their sleeve. It's my favourite part about them. They let you see the vulnerabilities.

The article made some good points about the fact that Beyoncé presents a message of body positivity (doesn't matter your size/shape etc.) and yet she's actually doing some of these crazy 'celebrity' diets as well so the messaging is not authentic. But have you ever found yourself representing one thing, thinking positive thoughts, saying/doing things one way, then the next day something happens and you're crying over your cereal bowl (of lettuce) and it's only 6.30am? 

If there's someone out there in the world who has never gone back on a decision ever can you contact me? I'd love to actually meet someone who doesn't question themselves on the daily. From where I'm standing (actually lying down on my bed typing), I've made plenty of statements in the past that at some point I've probably gone back on, and many I probably would have liked to take back.

I feel like someone told me ages ago that taking risks is the only way to move forward. But with the risks comes the stumbles, the road blocks, the retracing of your steps, the swallowing of your pride. All of that. 

Going back to the article, I think maybe it's ok to celebrate a pre-baby costume fitting you if that's your goal? I know I did! I hope that's not something you'd vilify me for.  I don't think I'd ever be game to eat just lettuce for a day, let alone a week! But kudos to you if that's something you have achieved. 

We still love you Bey! 👑

Image source: https://pidiradio.nl

The struggle is real and the hustle is even more real. Do what you can, when you can, while you can.  Being vulnerable and pushed to your limits might just be the key to taking you to your next level. Can I please have my cap and gown, thank you!



<3

Comments

Popular Posts