5 things I identified with in Captain Marvel (not Superhero related)

--SPOILER ALERT! --

If you haven't already seen Captain Marvel, (or Avengers Infinity War), go see it, then come back and read my blog... I'll wait..
________________________________


Source: https://www.moviequotesandmore.com/captain-marvel-best-quotes/

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love superhero movies. No, I’m not a comic book, convention going, super enthusiast. I just love the films. I've seen Ragnarok & Age of Ultron, more times than I can count. But becoming a mum has given me a new lense to filter these characters and plots through.

From watching the Avengers series, we have up until this point just gotten hints about Captain Marvel. Little Easter eggs throughout the previous films.

From what we can already gather about Captain Marvel, before we've even seen this film, we know that she's supposed to be strong enough that Nick Fury has her on speed dial. But he didn't call on her when the wormhole opened up over New York City, or when Sercovia was lifted above the earth threatening to wipe life on earth. He left it to the Avengers to handle those bad boys.

But half the earth's population gets turned to dust by Thanos, and yep, that's enough for Fury to put the call in.

So my anticipation of Captain Marvel aka Carol Danvers, was that she is pretty bad ass!#$%

And she is.
  • She fights to save an alien race (the Skrulls) that was being persecuted by the Kree  
  • She goes off with them to help find them a home, even though originally she thought they were the enemy.
  • What makes her the most fierce is her ability to see past what's in front of her and her undeniable, unshakeable moral compass.
So you might be thinking, I'm pretty arrogant to say that I identify with Captain Marvel right? I definitely do not have any super abilities, super strength and I've never been to space (sadly). So how could a 31 year old mum from Perth, Australia, possibly relate to a superhero?

The thing is, I'm just going to say this now, I believe all mums (and dads of course but for this article I’m talking hashtag mumlife) who love and care for their family, who would do anything to protect their child(ren), who put others needs before their own, are superheros.

Having said that, the reasons I identified with Captain Marvel in this movie have nothing to do with her being a superhero.

The reasons I identified with this film are everything to do with being unapologetic-ally human and a being a mother (even though Marvel has no kids of her own). Possibly there are other mums who have seen it who might feel they can also relate?

1. Struggle with memory loss
Put both your hands in the air and clap with me if this is your life? In the movie, Captain Marvel struggles with her memories. At the start, she only knows what's been told to her by the Kree family

she has come to live with, but she has flashes of memories that contradict some of what they've told her and as you see by the end of the movie it's all pieced together.

I have always been a tad forgetful, so when mum brain was added to the mix, forget about it! (see what I did there? he he) 

Sometimes I'm so sure of something, and then I find out later that the reality was different. It makes me question myself. I sometimes find I'm relying on other people's recollection of events.

I think that writing things down helps a lot. I make lots of lists and I will often spend time in thought revisiting memories to try and flesh them out. Sometimes I'll be driving and I'll be thinking back to a specific time and place and I try to recall as much detail as possible.

Memory loss, ability to recall facts and events in their logical order, is a huge price to pay for being a mother, it goes hand in hand with the sleep deprivation. We laugh it off, put it down to 'mum brain' but actually it can be quite damaging if the people around us aren't really looking out for us or don't have interest in our welfare. 

My grandma had Alzheimer's and there's a family history of it, so it really upsets me sometimes when I’m hazy or when I forget something.

I got upset when I found out that the Kree had manipulated Captain Marvels memories. These people she was so close to just used her memory loss to coerce her. Because Captain Marvel had gaps in her memory, she was forced to trust the people around her. It turned out that her trust in those closest to her had led her astray. When she figured out the truth, she did everything within her super awesome power, to help make things right again.

So mum's if you are feeling cloudy, if someone tells you something that you may have "forgotten". Take it with a grain of salt. Write important things down, so that you can come back to them and know the truth. Don't feel bad that you got dates mixed up or left the washing in the machine. You are doing the best you can. You are a superhero.

2. The Alien Reunion
So the Kree had sent this alien race called the Skrulls (Skrolls?) into hiding right, they had destroyed their home planet so now the Skrulls were trying to find a new home.

When Captain Marvel listens to them and reunites them with what's left of the population in a hidden vessel just outside of the earth's atmosphere (planet c53), there is a really sweet moment when Skrulls daddy, skrull mummy & skrull toddler are brought back together.

Now I've never been separated from Tobias for that long a period of time. But I could imagine what this separation would do to me. Or if Dan had to go away for work. I know that it would be very difficult for me. Dan is such an amazing dad and for him to not be around, I can't even imagine.

3. I am off fighting wars in another galaxy
Okay so I said before that I’ve never been to space, but I am a bit of a space cadet. And sometimes it seems that I’m off with the space fairies. Anyone else with me?





There are so many fights to be fought in this world. So many people that you would like to be there for, but you can’t always. Becoming a mum, you begin to realise how much you give to your child, and then some. Your capacity for others, the distance between you and them grows, especially if, like me, you are quite introverted. Big gatherings where you get everyone together can be more overwhelming than friendly and fun.

So maybe for a while, I am in the galaxy of Tobias. I’m doing what I can to protect him, keep him safe and give him a home and a good life. Everyone else back on earth - I love you, if you really need me - send me a message. I promise I will return :) - Okay I’m not that far away, ha ha but still, just bear with me if you can.

4. All the times she was down but picked herself back up.
I’m not going to go into this one at any length because I think it’s pretty obvious. I’ve fallen down so many times in my life (figuratively and literally). It’s interesting, when we’re younger and we think life is linear.

“When I grow up I’m going to be…”


Brie Larson in Captain Marvel, picture from the Marvel/Disney film trailer


I’m grown up and I’m still figuring it out. Life is not linear, it bounces from place to place, from highs to lows and back again. Take any space themed motion-picture and you almost always see a montage of them flying through an asteroid belt. Dodging space trash & giant rocks. That’s life.


In the Captain Marvel film, there’s a montage of Carol, getting knocked down. Time after time after time. And they saw this as weakness, but in reality this was her greatest strength. She kept getting up, she kept fighting. Go Captain Marvel!

5. "Maybe I'll build a spaceship, you don't know!"
There’s a scene in this movie, where Carol is at Maria Rambeau's house (her long lost friend from the air-force). Maria's daughter Monica is talking to Nick Fury about coming to space too. And she says that maybe she’ll build a spaceship “you don’t know”.

Being underestimated is something I am well familiar with. I’m sure I’ve been counted out so many times. I’m goofy, forgetful and a bit of a day-dreamer. But I am continuing to fight and ‘build my own spaceship’. You don’t know. :P


-----------------------------------------

Hope if you are a mum and you’re struggling with some of these things, take comfort that you are not alone. You are awesome! Keep getting back up! And if Nick Fury really needs you, he knows where to find you. AHAHA!


We are so close to Avengers, End Game I just hope that Captain Marvel’s super powers are enough to bring Bucky, Dr Strange & everyone else back!







_________________________________

I used this website if I couldn’t remember something from the movie: https://www.moviequotesandmore.com/captain-marvel-best-quotes/

Comments

Popular Posts